Wednesday, November 23, 2011

So, that is why they call it Paradise...


YES!   Aloha!

Cute Husband was locked in editing for APEC in Hawaii for a week and I decided to migrate in and play with him after a week of sun and fun.

 In fact, I was doing the running man to get him!
 Nothing in Oahu would be complete without a day of snorkeling in Hanauma Bay Park...

 Or a trip up to the top of Diamond Head.



 How can the sky be so blue?

 Hi Honolulu!
 Why I refer to him as Cute Husband...
 And of course  BIRDING!
 We managed to tick off the majority of non-native species such as these Red Crested Cardinals.  Beautiful, but not native to the island.  Along with a Northern Cardinal, who really does not belong in HI.   Along with Java Sparrows, White Rumped Shamas, Red-billed Leothrix, Japanese White-eyes, Yellow- fronted canaries, Common Waxbills and Bulbuls of different varieties.  All beautiful birds, but not native to the island.
 We checked out the Lyon Arboretum twice in hopes of meeting some true Hawaii natives.

Sigh.

We hung out in the native Hawaiian plant garden and managed to get a quick glance of an Akekee, but the plants, mammals, people and birds who visit Hawaii seem to enjoy it so much, they never leave and sometimes push out the natives....


We drove to the North Shore and see... it is paradise....

Turtles loved my Love.  Warren managed to snorkel with them...

Right after I left to warm up...

And, then the wanted to hop up on his paddle board to be near him....



But, Beware!   There are many dangers in Paradise!




But, BirdCouple laughs at danger!


Really, how can a place be so beautiful?

Warren birds the last of the day...

Maybe a monthly visit to the Islands?  
We could do bird research!

3 comments:

Birding is Fun! said...

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay was one of my favorite things to do. I only wish I had had a fish field guide to identify all of fish I was seeing. One day I was snorkeling right next to some sea turtles. Awesome!

Dave said...

Oh my...that looks so much more inviting than the coast of Lake Erie right now!

Dawn Fine said...

Howdee Birdcouple! I am trying to play catch up after a stressful month. I could use a trip to Paradise ..hee hee.. Beautiful photos!