Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lark and Clay Colored Sitting in a Tree..


    Here's a sight you dont see everyday - at least not in Maryland - a Lark Sparrow (on the right there) sitting on the same branch as one, and maybe two, Clay-Colored Sparrows.

   Mikey Lutmerding found these birds on Assateague Island and, another birder, Scott Housten, put Warren on to them. He went searching and almost literally stumbled across them. Both sparrow species are rare in Maryland, although they show up on Assateague with some regularity.

  Lots of other birds were about,,,,,


  But this is why most people (non-birders, anyway) come to Assateague:

3 comments:

Kathiesbirds said...

Lisa, I would come for both! I have loved the horses of Assateague since reading "Misty" as a child. Now I want to see the birds as well, and I have never been there! it is on the top of my list of places I want to see and bird before I die! (hopefully that won't be happening any time soon!)

Wow, clay-colored sparrow? They seem so difficult to distinguish that I don't know if I would ever be confident enough to identify one without an expert nearby!

Birding is Fun! said...

I'll send MD some Lark Sparrows if you send us in UT a few more Clay-colored Sparrows. We get them occasionally, but I've never seen one...yet! No question though that Lark Sparrows are pretty dang cool sparrows.

David said...

Now I know why they call it ASSateague Island! Nice shot...