Lisa and I saw some nice mixed feeding flocks as we hiked the Appalachian Trail over Labor Day weekend. Warblers and vireos and tanagers, oh my! But here, of course, we are talking about our occasional updates of birding and environmental news.
* Today's good news is that the health of the Potomac River has significantly rebounded, according to a new study.
* The September issue of the Birding Community E-Bulletin is out and available here among other places. We'll cover the highlights for our readers soon.
* The Philadelphia Inquirer has a story here about hawk-watching at Hawk Mountain and Cape May.
* At Warren's workplace, McClatchy Newspapers' Washington bureau, colleague Les Blumenthal has an interesting article, After 20 years of protection, owl declining but forests remain, on the northern Spotted Owl.
* Say what? Some people just don't like birds. Check this out at Birdchaser.