Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Know How Fast a Hummingbird's Heart Beats...

I felt my beat as fast after I was rushed to the hospital 13 days ago and the doctor told me that I had just had a stroke. 

I know how helpless a fish with no where to hide feels as an Osprey hovers above.

I felt this helplessness as I tried to wrap my head around the fact that a seemingly healthy person with no predisposition to a stroke was diagnosed with having had one.

I know how  lucky a Tufted Titmouse must feel after banking a tree and missing the clutches of a Red-Shouldered Hawk.

I felt that way after the feeling returned to my fingers and I could control my speech without slurring.

I know how insurmountable the Gulf of Mexico must seem to a migrating Barn Swallow when the ground is no longer below.

I felt that way after the nurses unhooked all the monitors and instructed me on how to avoid a stroke in the future (which, for the most part, was how I was living pre-stroke).

I also know how a Bald Eagle must feel as she flies to a great height, locks talons with her mate and plunges toward earth, spinning out of control,  breaking away just before hitting ground and then soaring upward to repeat the death-defying ritual.

And, that feeling is what is helping my head get back to good, reminding me how limitless life can be when you push fear to the side. 

Thank you, Cute Mate, for locking talons with me and helping me heal. ...

10 comments:

birds fly said...

Hi, we don't know each other but I'm a Maryland birder and enjoy reading your blog. Your post here was very poignant, and I wanted to offer a few words of support. My sister had a stroke (actually two, about a week apart) a couple of years ago. She is young and healthy, and at the time was working as a personal trainer. Naturally it came as a big surprise to everyone who knew her! It was a scary and confusing time for our family, but her overall good health led to a very rapid and full recovery. She's doing great these days.

Anyway, I wish you well and keep thinking of the birds!

Sean

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Sean, much thanks for your encouragement and kind words. I'm so glad to hear your sister recovered fully and is doing well now.

Thanks again- it really means alot to hear someone else has powered through.

L

Anonymous said...

Please get well soon.

One of your readers.

CJ said...

Hey L & W,

This news really shocked me. After just having you here, seeing how vibrant, HEALTHY and full of life you both are, I would have never suspected. Take care of W, we want to see you both again!!!

Amy said...

Wow, it sounds like it's been an emotional, sometimes frightening few weeks for the two of you. I'm so glad that you're doing OK and have each other. I'm sure I'm one of many, many readers who are sending good thoughts your way.

dAwN said...

Wow..What a shock to read this..and actually I cant tell by this post which one of the birdcouple had the stroke.
I wish you both well..a very touching post.

I had a friend who had a stroke at age 60..she is fine now..just a bit of slurring and her right hand is not 100 percent.
Sounds like yours was just slight and caught in time, thank goodness

My friend had a pretty healthy lifestyle as well, though her DR mentioned that she does have Gluten intolerance and the inflammation from that could have caused it.
She has cut out gluten now.
Also no diet sodas..
no other advice..I am sure you have had plenty.

Best wishes..

Dave Lewis said...

Holy cow! Now there's a shock...if I would have known, I wouldn't have tormented you with my bad humor!
Dave

Elizabeth | The Natural Capital said...

You're in my thoughts. This was a beautiful post to come out of what must have been a very ugly experience.

Christopher said...

OK so I am really behind on my blog reading, so this comment is obviously very late - but I am surprised and sorry to hear of this. I certainly understand the shock, but I hope that this is a single event and remains safely in the past.

Kathiesbirds said...

I had no idea you had been through this! This must have happened shortly after your trip here to AZ. Is there any chance that the altitude caused it? I know my cute hubbie had his first ever "almost heart attack" years ago after our anniversary trip up through Rocky mountain National Park at elevations of over 11,000 ft. He ended up in the hospital for 2 days on blood thinners due to clots in his legs. He's never had such an incident since but the docs told him it may have been from sitting in the car for so long at such high altitudes. The altitude here in AZ is much higher than where you live and could have affected you. I hope not. I am just glad you are well. You descibe the whole thing in poetic and precise terms. I hope your heart rate is back to normal now. I love your final metaphor.