Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hybrid Goose Mystery



This odd-looking goose jumped out at both Lisa and I as we surveyed a flock of Canada Geese at the Crownsville Waste-Water Treatment Plant on Sunday morn.

It's obviously a Canada Goose hybridized with something else. Question is, is it a Canada Goose x Greater White_Fronted Goose or Canada Goose x Greylag (Domestic) Goose?

Thoughts, opinions welcome!

P.S. - Given this bird's size, the emerging consensus seems to be that it is a Canada x Greylag hybrid. Thanks to all!

7 comments:

Albert said...

Maybe, to much "waste water"

Chris Petrak said...

I think I'd vote for Greater White front x Canada. I saw one near Philly last November - in fact, at Millbrook, Audubon's home. Like your goose it jumped right out.

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Chris - many thanks. Hmmm, now what are the counting rules for such a bird? Can I count it as a GWFG in my home county of Anne Arundel? :)

John said...

Size might be a clue to the bird's identity. If it's as big as a Canada Goose or larger, I would lean towards CAGO x Greylag. If smaller, I would go with CAGO x GWFG. A Greater White-fronted Goose is about 60% the size of a Canada.

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Hey John... this bird was larger than the Canadas.

Anonymous said...

Birding News gives you a place to post any of the birds that you see and look what others have spotted recently at a glance.

dAwN said...

Looks like you have your answer...Hope you are both doing well..look forward to more of your birding!