Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Bird Landed on my Shoulder...

My Dad has been quite sick for several weeks. And, for those of you who don't know my Dad, he is the best Dad on Earth. A kind, practical man with a quick sense of humor. My Dad has always fed my curiosity and was the first to put names on birds, trees and plants for me.

This past weekend, Cute Husband and I had planned to do some big league migration birding. After a lot of internal debate, I decided that looking at birds and spending time with Cute Husband might be the best thing for my sorrowful heart.

Not surprisingly, it was!

And, the smile I got from my Dad when I told him about the adventure- wading through the marsh in hip boots searching for Swainson Warblers, fighting mosquitoes and ticks and boot sucking mud - made me know that it was a good thing for his sorrowful heart also....

4 comments:

Karen said...

(sigh.....smile....sigh....)

(insert brilliant/heartfelt comment)

(footnote: I typed 5 different ones, but none was good enough so I left it with sigh... smile...sign....)

Thinking of you both, Karen

dAwN said...

Oh...so sorry that your dad is not well...It is nice you had some great stories of birding to brighten his day.

Bird Advocate said...

That put me back in the day my Mother and Dad taught us about nature. I wish you all the best and many more memorable times shared with your Husband and Dad.

Binoculars said...

Very touching story. I hope your dad got better.