Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Somewhere over the rainbow...

...Bluebirds fly, Birds fly over the rainbow. Why, oh, why can't I? -- E.Y. "Yip Harburg.

We are on the brink of the most torturous time of the year on the East Coast.

We are on the brink of an explosion of color and beautiful melodies heard from treetops.

We are on the brink of pre-dawn wake ups and aching necks from searching the canopy for tiny birds flitting about in their spring finery.

We are on the brink of planning every free moment around the most likely spots and hoping for fall-outs within driving distance.

We are on the brink of the warbler spring migration!

And, what makes that so torturous is that during the big show(which really escalates during the month of May), it is almost impossible to concentrate on work and not devise sick leave schemes to eat up every day of birding as hundreds of thousands of warblers pass through.

In the meantime, Cute Husband and I are breaking out the warbler tapes and brushing up on field ids and... patiently waiting....for the real spring to start!

5 comments:

MaineBirder said...

Oh, you have got it right!

In Portland, Maine there is a Warbler fallout spot at a local cemetery. I dream about the mid-May trek to this place. It's not uncommon to see 20 different Warbler species in a single morning. Folks plan their vacations around this time.

Kallen305 said...

Okay, now you have me really excited!! This will be my first spring birding and I can't wait!!

I plan on birding before work by getting up at 4:30 am twice a week to take advantage of some of it. I will also take a couple of days off if I can.

Hope you can take some time off to enjoy it.

dAwN said...

My Favorite birdies ever...We are seeing tons of Parulas, and a few yellow throated here in Ga. Waiting for more!

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

dAwN - That's awesome! It means they will be here in 10 days or so...

Kathiesbirds said...

So much fun! It's happening here also and I will get to participate some when I go to the New River Birding Festival in WV at the end of this month!