Friday, March 27, 2009

Mammals of India

Warren is just back from a 2-day trip with Secretary of State Clinton to Mexico, but Birdcouple is still trying to savor our wonderful India vacation. It was crazy good with birds, but we saw a lot else besides. Including mammals, small...




Five-Striped Palm Squirrel
And large:
Gaur
The Gaur is a type of bison, and is the largest wild bovine found in the world. Males weigh up to a ton and a half. Yes, this one probably could have taken on our safari jeep and won if it had a mind to. Luckily it was busy doing what bovines usually do - eating.
We saw the Gaur at Kanha Tiger Reserve, where we sepnt 2 1/2 days and encountered Jungle Cat, Sloth Bear and three types of deer. Spotted Deer were all over the place:

Barking Deer were more secretive and uncommon, staying in the forest. Check out the facial pattern:

And Swamp Deer:



I have to stop monkeying around and get back to work. Here's a langur:


4 comments:

dAwN said...

What a wonderful trip that must have been! I would love to go someday..Not in the RV.
What is this..Warren went to Mexico with Hillary..what exactly does he do.How Cool!

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

When I'm not hanging with Princess Lisa, taking care of the boys or birding and hiking ... I seem to find myself writing about foreign police for McClatchy Newspapers and apparently traveling abroad sometimes with the secretary of state....

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/154

Yikes!

Hope you are doing well, Dawn and gang... Where are you headed next??!
W

Snowbabies said...

Propper cheeky chappie that Palm Squirrel :-)

Abagale said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://adoptpet.info