Friday, January 2, 2009

Bring on 2009!

Cute Husband and I could not think of a better way to ring in the New Year than birding with friends!

Patty and Stephanie (sporting our favorite Alpen Binoculars) joined Paul Baicich, Louis (who captured these pictures of our morning jaunt), Super Cute Husband (2009 has made him even more handsome) and myself for a half day of all new birds in Southern Maryland. The first day of the year is always so exciting! How long before we get our first Turkey Vulture of the new year? Is it possible to bird for several hours and not see a House Sparrow?Ring-Billed Gulls are new again! Mallards seem novel! Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches and all the other winter usuals seem fresh again!We also managed to add some swell and not so usual birds. We caught a brief look at the Rufous Hummingbird that has been hanging at a feeder for a couple of months. We had a Pine Warbler feeding from a fruit basket and a flock of irruptive Pine Siskins traveling with a group of Goldfinches. We didn't tick many raptors, but we did have the pleasure of spying two American Kestrels hunting near the roadways of Southern Maryland. The top of flagpole makes for a nice view for hunting...
But the the best part of the day was sharing all this with friends.Looking forward to more of the same in 2009!

See, I told you Cute Husband got even cuter in 2009.

5 comments:

John said...

That tripod looks a tad too short.

Nice flight shots of the kestrel!

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Tripod was at the Birder Babe setting, good for them, but yes short for me. :)

Happy New Year and good birding, John!
Warren

dAwN said...

Fun day of birding with your friends..
Happy new year to the both of you!

Nervous Birds said...

Warren, let me get this straight....

If I set my scope tripod at 'Birder Babe' height, does that virtually guarantee the arrival of flocks and flocks of 'babes'?

It like calling in owls, only with babes. I wonder how many I could see in 2009. Oh, no wait... stop that... no more crazy MD goals.

Perhaps the lure of a low tripod will have my wife flocking to the car the next time I go birding? I hope so.

See you tomorrow for the CBC

-Dan

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

I hear Birder Babes are irruptive this year. Lack of food up north. So keep an eye out...

Alright, enough of this! Bring on CBC!!!