Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From the Nectar of Flowers...

Athena.
The hive that successfully overwintered and exploded with bees in the spring.Athena.
The hive that probably swarmed 5 times in the early spring.
The hive that probably swarmed because I didn't give her enough space at the right time to grow.

Athena.
The hive that I was often too clumsy with.
The hive that I often mismanaged.
The hive that I was always accidentally dropping something in or using too much smoke on or injuring too many bees as I inspected. Athena.
The hive that I would sit beside for hours watching her sisters coming and going.
The hive that I worried about late at night.
The hive that I would talk to and encourage.

Athena.
The hive that lost her queen in July and fought to protect the stores of honey from robbers and wax moths.Athena.
The hive that gave Cute Husband and I all of this... Bittersweet.
Athena.
The hive I lost in August.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Thanks, friend.

Larry said...

Good job! this is the third consecutive year that I've only seen a few honeybees in my yard and garden.-I used to see dozens of them.-I did have a high number of bumblebees though-so they did the trick.

Larry said...

Oh-I'm sorry I missed the point about the sad part-I was looking at that nice stash of honey.