Monday, August 11, 2008

The Final Demise of the Yellow Jackets

The Front Yard Yellow Jacket nest finally bite the dust. Dang, I just realized this is the second post in a row that talks about killing pests in our house and yard...

I'm not proud of killing them.

I am, however, proud of the means by which I killed them.
No insecticides. No pesticides. No chemicals of any sort.
In the dead of night, I put a glass bowl over the hole and then ran.

The "glass bowl over the hole method" took a while (about a month) to finally get rid of them.
This method also burned or suffocated all the vegetation in a 2 foot diameter around the covered hole.

But, I know I didn't kill a whole bunch of other unsuspecting insects or damage our little ecosystem by nuking them.

In other LoveNest yard stuff:

Cardinal Flower! Native!
Cute Husband and I add a couple of Cardinal Flowers each year. The Ruby-throated Hummingbirds go completely nuts for this plant. Cardinal Flowers bloom into early fall in Maryland, so they are a great source of nectar for Hummers that are fueling up for migration.

Coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) are also native and attract a wide variety of insects, butterflies and birds which munch on the seeds.

This Monarch was a treat, as we don't get many in the yard.
Probably because we need to plant more milkweed for them to feed on.

We were also pleasantly surprised to see some of my girls feasting on the treats in the front yard.

I'm not sure if this gal is from the Athena or from the Diana hive, as the bees from both hives are very similar in color.
mmmm...Echinacea Honey....

No comments: