Thursday, August 14, 2008

Birding torture

Warren is in birding nirvana and he can't go birding (much). Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

I am currently on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, which has got plenty of tropical specialties, and even a few endemic birds, I think. I also happen to be embedded (i.e. living and traveling with) U.S. Special Operations soldiers here. Which means I am working my butt off. Nor can I exactly go wandering around the Filipino military base here with a pair of binoculars, looking at things. Oh, and there happens to have been some fighting over the weekend about 60 miles away from where I am.

One takes what one can get, though, and it's not been a complete drought. I've seen plenty of Black-Headed Munia, which seems to be sort of like the local Brown-Headed Cowbird.

Back in Manila last Sunday, I went birding for a few hours at the Manila American Cemetery, which is actually a well-known birding spot in the Philippine capital. I picked up Pied Fantail, Zebra Dove, Barred Rail and four or five other lifers.

As BirdCouple says, every day you see a new bird is a good day.

Know what? It's not the birds I'm missing most of all. It's the Princess ... and Mitch and Adam.

Damn - some crazy looking thing with a foot-long streamer-like tail just flew overhead......

1 comment:

John said...

That must be frustrating.