Friday, July 11, 2008

Adventures of Bird Girl

We recently happened upon a great birding blog we weren't aware of before, Adventures of Bird Girl. It's run by Helena, a 14-year-old and fellow Marylander.

We like a lot of things about her site, but what we liked best is what she said in her profile:

"I am a 14 year old bird-watcher, or birder. I often have had to deal with adults (birders) assuming, because I am young, I don't actually know what I am talking about. I proved with my old website that, if I kept my age anonymous, people took me seriously and actually found me quite knowledgeable about birds, even after knowing my age. I have also had to deal with people telling me how geeky or nerdy birding is. I will tell you right now not to waste your time because there is no way I will ever be convinced that birding isn't cool. Here is my blog about my birding adventures and the cool and beautiful things I find out in nature."

For those of us fast-approaching middle age--Okay, okay, for those of us who are already there--we say: There's hope for the future!

You go, Bird Girl.