Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Big, big listers

Birdcouple likes to keep tabs on our good friend Peter Kaestner, diplomat and birder extraordinaire. Peter and family are currently posted at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India.

Peter got his first lifer of the year on January 12, an Indian Scops Owl.

That was life bird # 8,142. Yes, you read that right. 8, 142.

Peter, who has found most of his birds by himself and discovered a new species of antpitta in Colombia, is believed to be third among all living birders in his life list......

While we're on the subject of worldwide bird listing, two British birders, Alan Davies and Ruth Miller, are trying to break the record for the most birds seen in a calendar year, which stands at 3,662. Check them out at The Biggest Twitch. (They are currently at 487). Oops, make that 708, now. ...We wish them well, and are glad they are also raising funds to support conservation. (We are also very, very jealous).

4 comments:

Nervous Birds said...

Jealous... that doesn't even begin to describe it!

One year I would like to do something similar. Where did I put that Lotto ticket?

Oh, and I'm not sure why you can't post on my little blog. That sort of bothers me a bit.

I hope all is well and Sterling, Em and I are looking forward to our next get together!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Don't you love that someone calls her keen?
I love that!

We really should describe more people as keen.

kiss.
the one that loves cute husband

Anonymous said...

Don't you just adore that someone describes her as "keen"

I love that!

Anonymous said...

I'm keen on you.

- the one who loves Amazing Princess.