Monday, December 24, 2007

Magic Merlin



Lisa and I were out every morning the last three days, looking for some rarities that have been seen locally, including a White-Winged Crossbill. (None has been seen in Maryland for 10 years). Well, we struck out. But birding is its own reward, and when you go looking for one thing, you invariably find another.

This Merlin flew 10 feet in front of Lisa's car, and then perched for 5 whole minutes on top of a small fir tree. I photographed it as it flew away. I have to say, modestly, that this is one of the best nature photos I've ever taken. The bird is watching me as it flies.



Here it is, a few minutes earlier, still perched. And still watching me.



This photo is a bit washed out, but I like it because you get the head-on effect of this magnificent predator.



To round out Christmas Eve day, we saw a Northern Pintail, relatively rare in Anne Arundel County. Both these birds were new for my county list, which now stands at 158...


1 comment:

Larry said...

A couple of great birds!I never had a really good view of a Merlin.-They're always distant or flying away when I see them which is rare to begin with.-Nice photos!