Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Night Heron in DC



I checked. A Yellow-Crowned Night Heron is on the official checklist of birds of the District of Columbia (which, amazingly for DC's small size, lists 325 species). So this is not a rarity.
Still, this is not a bird you see in the nation's capitol every day, so I was shocked, pleased and amazed to find one hanging out at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, which is a beautiful place to walk and visit if you ever find yourself in Washington at any season.
Not sure what this bird was doing here, especially at the top of a pine tree (lower picture) where I first found her (him?) I don't think it was part of a nesting pair, and looks to me like a young adult bird.
Seeing it was a great way to start the day. I can now add Yellow-Crowned Night Heron to my list of birds seen in DC. And, er, to my list of birds seen *pooping*
W

5 comments:

John said...

I have seen a YCNH once before at Kenilworth - in May 2006. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a small breeding population somewhere nearby.

Warren & Lisa Strobel said...

Makes sense. I wonder where? We know there is a small breeding population on Sligo Creek Parkway, in Montgomery Co., just outside of DC. Saw them there this spring...

BTW, John do you keep a DC bird list? If so, must be extensive!

- Warren

Larry said...

I'll have to check to see how often YC-Night Herons are seen in CT.-I know I've never seen one.

Greg said...

I've never seen one in DC-- congrats! -- but they breed in Huntley Meadows in Fairfax Co., or used to anyway. I've seen them there.

Warren & Lisa Strobel said...

Greg - Thanks. Huntley Meadows is a great place. We were there this winter, checking on Wood Duck nest boxes! We posted on it...